Friday, May 1, 2009

A new story

This is a new story I've been working on. I'm going to post it in parts. I'll post a part of it once a week (like a serial).

Hayden rested her hand against her cheek as she looked out the arched stone window at the rain steadily falling to the soaked ground. The grey sky sent out deep rumbles that made Hayden’s stomach churn with excitement. She knew that her brother and father were out in the large tempest. They were on a battle campaign in the south of their kingdom of, Lakedale. The thought of the brave men that would risk their lives for the kingdom’s safety made the right side of her mouth tug up into a slight smile. The bard that was playing his dulcimer and singing a new song made Hayden melancholy. It was another love song written about a couple that couldn’t be together. Hayden liked those songs, but she got tired of them sometimes.“Fredrick,” Hayden addressed the bard, “what lover is this song about?” Fredrick smiled pleasantly. “It’s about a girl I met in the port of Greymoore when I was a sailor.” Hayden laughed. Fredrick was not only her personal bard, but he was also like her best friend. She had met him in the village of Greenpoint one day when he was pestering people with his love songs. He claimed he had not always been a bard, but had spent part of his life as a scribe, sailor, and errand boy. “Her name was Ella. I met her at the fishmonger’s. She had bright red hair, and smiled a lot. Before I left, we pledged our love to each other. When I cam back, I found she had died from blood poisoning.” Fredrick became melancholy, “But her parents told me every night she’d walk the shore waiting for me. She even adopted a far off star as her own and talked to it as if it carried messages to me.” Hayden felt tears rising. Fredrick was very idealistic, and romantic. He liked to talk about all the women he had loved. Hayden swallowed and changed the subject. “The grass is very green today from the rain.” Hayden sighed, “I wish it would stop raining though. It’s too dangerous to go to the shore, and I desperately love the ocean.” Fredrick smiled sympathetically, “You’ll be able to go soon enough, Hayden.” Hayden smiled. Fredrick was never allowed to call her by her first name in public, but he could do so when there was no call for formalities. Fredrick had dark blonde hair, blue eyes, a straight nose, and contagious curvy smile. Hayden turned and continued looking out the window. She noticed the rain slowly coming to a stop. She smiled. “Fredrick, you can stay here in the library and continue writing songs. I’m going to go outside while I can.”“But it’s so wet!” Hayden smiled, “You know that would never stop me!” Hayden left the library, and wound her way through the long stone hallways, to her chambers.

0 comments: